Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Deveiled Eggs

Devieled Eggs

Well considering I did my fair share of the cooking for Mother's Day...and I did some family faves. I thought I would share with you my recipe for devieled eggs. This is one of my husbands favorite treats when we have family meals. And I have to tell you this story....

When Tool Man and I were first married and having one of our first family get togethers...I was asked to make Deveiled Eggs. I of course did what I had always done when making deveiled eggs...when I got my yolk mixture made I took a small bite of it to the man of the house (I was used to this being my Daddy) to taste. Now my Daddy would have tasted the mixture and told me if I need to add anything to it before filling the egg white shells...salt, pepper, vinegar...I had made my mixture the way I had been taught. But that is NOT what my new husband did! He wanted me to fill an egg shell with a big ol' heaping spoonful of yolk...so that he could really see what they tasted like....then he proceeded to tell me they didn't taste right! He said and I quote, "They don't taste like Mom's." OK at this point most newly married wives would have broke down in tears...not me! I picked up the phone, called his Mother, told her what he had done and said (which she was appalled at!), once I got her to quit apologizing I asked her how she made her deveiled eggs so that I could adjust my recipe to make my new hubby happy! Come to find out it was really simple...she put a little sweet relish in hers and I had always used vinegar or dill pickle juice in mine.
So here is our version (a combination of mine and my sweet Momma-In-Laws) recipe for deveiled eggs!
Devieled Eggs

I made this recipe to feed 13 people. When I made these I always try to make an egg per person with a couple of extras just in case. I always have that one egg that won't peel pretty or splits down the middle...or that snitch that comes and wolfs down two or three before I even get them finished. I believe I ended up making 18 eggs for this batch.

Begin by boiling your eggs in salted water. The method I use for boiling eggs is pretty simple . I place all my eggs in a pan...size depends on how many eggs you are making...cover completely with water. Add 2 or 3 good pinches of salt. And turn on my on burner on medium to medium high heat. When water begins to boil I set my timer for 10 minutes. When timer goes off I turn the heat off on the stove. Now if I have the time I let them cool in the pan, drain the water and refrigerate over night. (They peel easier cold) But if I don't have time I drain the hot water and run cold water over until the eggs are cool enough to handle.

Then peel all of your eggs...rinse with cool water to remove any excess shells.
Cut each egg in half lengthwise and remove yolk. Place all your yolks in a bowl and place egg whites on your tray, plate....whatever you are using!

I use a fork to mash all of my yolks together, they should be very small crumbles! I then add a good layer of salt and pepper (appox. 1 tsp each). And mix!

I then add a heaping tablespoon of yellow mustard, a heaping tablespoon of Miracle Whip (or mayo...use what you prefer) and a tablespoon of sweet relish. I really don't measure this....you kind have to eyeball it...it all really depends on how much you are making....use less if you are making few eggs and vice versa!

Mix this well with a spoon or fork. It should have a paste like consistency. If it is too dry add a little more mustard or mayo, if you are still having issues add about a teaspoon of vinegar or the juice off of some dill pickles.
At this point I normally have someone taste test my mixture....adjust to your own preferences, just be careful not to let it get too dry or too runny!

Now because this was for Mother's Day and I wanted it to look nice...I used a pastry bag and tip to fill my eggs.


I am trying to show you in this pic to use a tip with a large opening! If not you will spend more time fighting the clumps of egg that didn't get completely mashed...than you will filling your whites! (personal experience and over 100 eggs to fill! I know what I am talking about!) You can use a Ziploc bag and tip or just a spoon to fill the whites...it's your choice and what you are comfortable with!

To finish sprinkle your eggs with Paprika! Or garnish of choice! I have always used paprika...but I have to leave a few eggs plain for my Grandma!

Enjoy! God Bless,
Mama D

No comments:

Post a Comment