Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mama D's Protein Shakes

Of all the combinations that I tried....these are my favorite. I tend to stick with my OJ shake more than anything!

I personally use Syntrax's Vanilla Essence. It has only 90 calories per serving and 23 grams of protein My doctor recommend me getting 65 grams of protein per day....so I try to drink two shakes and obtain the rest through real food! I don't eat a lot of meat, but I eat a lot of eggs, peanut butter and beans....every little gram that you get helps!

Orange Juice Shake

1 cup orange juice (my favorite is the store brand at Wal-Mart or United...a gallon normally lasts me between 2 weeks to a month)
handful of ice
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder

Shake in your favorite shaker and drink! The ice helps to mix your shake as well as keep it super cold while you are drinking....this helps cut that protein flavor for me!

Mocha Latte Shake
1 cup Skim or 1% Milk
handful of ice
1 tsp instant coffee (I like hazelnut flavored myself....but even a splash of leftover coffee will do)
1 scoop of Vanilla or Chocolate Protein Powder

Shake in shaker and drink. Or put in blended and add more ice for an icy treat! Beware...blending these in a blender creates volume...so don't go to heavy on the milk! I have had an 8 oz. shake turn into a 32 oz. monster really fast.

Strawberry Smoothie

This is one of my current faves! I get the added nutrients of the fruit and right now I need those extra calories and nutrients!!!! When I find fruit that I like on sale, I wash and prep the fruit, lay it out on a pizza pan and freeze. Then place all frozen fruit into a Ziploc bag to store in the door of my freezer! That way all I have to do is grab what I want and any excess fruit doesn't go to waste!

Add to blender
3 or 4 frozen strawberries
handful of frozen blueberries
1/2 a frozen banana (freeze in the skin, peel before using)
1/2 to 3/4 cup orange juice
handful of ice
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder

Blend until desired consistency! Enjoy!
Add whatever fruits that you enjoy or have on hand...this is most definitely a make to your taste smoothie! I have ever added a small container of vanilla yogurt to mine...but I prefer it without!

Until next time,
God Bless, Mama D

No comments:

Post a Comment