Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mrs. Townsend's Sugar Cookies

Sugar Cookies

And Yes I know these cookies are green....it's March....beautiful outside...and I am thinking about green grass and my garden...so I made my cookies green!

This type of sugar cookie has to be my absolute favorite cookie, ever! I love how they are light and fluffy, and when you bite into them they just melt in you mouth. Mmmm....

They also bring back happy memories of my Grandma Edna. She is the one that started me cooking when I was 5 years old. We always had our little special routine. We even had matching aprons! She had this old fashioned cotton dish towel that she covered with waxed paper that just fit on the end of her kitchen cabinet (that's what she used instead of a cooling rack) and a certain spatula that you could scoop two cookies off the sheet with at once. And you always had to let them cool before you could have one with a little glass of milk....and she always told you about the person that she got the recipe from. This recipe happened to come from one of her really good friends....can you tell I am missing my Grandma today???

So I pulled out my special apron, my old fashioned cotton dish towel covered with waxed paper and my two cookie spatula and went to work!

Sugar Cookies

2 eggs
2/3 cup oil
2 tsp. vanilla
Add coloring of choice to this mixture...just remember that your cookies will come out lighter than the dough.

3/4 cup sugar
2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Beat eggs. Stir in oil and vanilla. Add coloring. Blend in sugar until mixture thickens sightly. Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into oil mixture. drop by the teaspoon unto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with a greased and sugared glass bottomed cup. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.

Now the great thing about these cookies is you can make them any color that you want! I love to add the holiday sprinkles to mine...either the colored sugar or the different shapes. My Bear says that the pink ones are the best!

This dough is very different from most cookie doughs...it is kinda gooey...but don't be tempted to add more flour...I promise it is supposed to be that way!

I hope you treat someone to green cookies today!
God Bless,
Mama D

No comments:

Post a Comment