Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lemony Deliouciousness!

Lemon Delight!

As it is Easter weekend and time for family celebrations I have decided to share my super easy Lemon Delight recipe.

In my family everyone has a favorite dessert, Grandma likes cobblers, Daddy likes pies, Momma likes Chocolate cake, cookie bars or just plain ol' My Man Cookies, the teenager likes anything chocolate...and the list just goes on! I was asked to make the bread and dessert for today's lunch. And considering I am pregnant and have weird cravings I decided to indulge myself instead accommodating everyone else! I wanted something light, lemony and delicious!

So out came the recipe for my Grandma Edna's Lemon Delight! Now let me tell you, with just a little forethought this can be turned into an almost sugar free recipe....so dieters don't give up on me...this is one that you can make!!! You can also change the Lemon part to chocolate, butterscotch, pistachio.....whatever flavor of pudding you like!

Now here's what you do!

First start with a package of grahman crackers....I happened to have the kind with cinnamon on the tops of them but you can use plain or the kind that is already crushed in the box. (you'll need between 1 1/2 to 2 cups) I broke all of my crackers up and placed them in my food processor with about 2 tablespoons of sugar. Pulse until merely crumbs then add 1/4 cup of melted butter or margarine. Pulse to blend. Press into the bottom of a 9 X 13 casserole dish and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Note*** Now ladies if you don't have a food processor and your a needing to work off a little frustration....just put those crackers in a Ziploc bag a go to beating the crap out of them....and as an added bonus you'll burn some extra calories...if it's your hubby your frustrated with take the roll pin to the bag...it seriously helps! My men folk know not to mess with me when I start banging stuff on the counter tops....I am generally miffed at one of them!
This is what it should look like after being baked and cooled completely!

Now you want to start on your next layer....while the crust is being baked and cooled set out one or two 8 oz. packages of cream cheese to soften. Now as high as cream cheese is right now ($1.99 at the local grocery store) you might want to catch this on sale and have it stocked in the freezer! When crust is cooled....place cream cheese in bowl with 1/2 to 1 cup of powdered sugar (depending on weather you use 1 or 2 pkgs. of cream cheese) and a small container of whipped topping. Now I use two packages of cream cheese, 1 cup of powdered sugar and the whole container of whipped topping...but I like that layer a lot and had all the ingredients....however you can half all that and come out just fine!
Note*** This is one of those variations times...you can use reduced fat cream cheese and fat free sugar free whats the point in eating it whipped topping and you could use splenda instead of powdered sugar....but really folks if you are making dessert....MAKE DESSERT!
Also you can stop here and top it with a can of Cherry Pie filling and call it an Easy Cheesecake....but be sure to double everything like I did or your cheesecake layer will be kinda skimpy!!!

Spread Cream Cheese mixture over your crust...try to get a smooth as possible for the next yummy layer!

Next you need two small packages or one large package of your favorite pudding! Yes you can use sugar free and skim milk! I used what was in my pantry! I personally can't tell the difference in sugar free pudding and regular....so I generally buy the sugar free variety! Mix your pudding according to the PIE directions and pour this over your cream cheese layer!
Note***to save washing another bowl I used the same bowl I mixed the cream cheese up in .....beaters and all...because I don't like doing dishes and don't mind those little bits of cream cheese floating in my pudding....but you do what you want!

At this point I put plastic wrap over it and placed it in the fridge for the pudding to set. I left it in there overnight and didn't put the final topping on till right before serving. This normally the best way to transport this dessert...because the pudding won't stick to the plastic wrap the way whipped topping does!
However if you are serving it at home....or soon after making you merely need to let the pudding set and top with whipped topping (a whole small container) before cutting into squares and serving!

My Momma took this picture of her piece before happily devouring it at lunch today! Then she found the spoon that I spread the whipped topping with and enjoyed that too....but was "too old" to just lick the spoon! Snicker Snicker! Makes me want to go dig into the extras....but I told myself there was enough left that we could have it for dessert tomorrow too! And that would save me from making Buttermilk pies!

My Easter Menu this year is....Ham (cooked in the crock pot with a apple juice and brown sugar glaze), Candied Yams, Green Beans or Broccoli and Cheese?? and Homemade Rolls! With my lovely left over Lemon Delight for dessert! What are you making or eating....whatever the case may be???

God Bless and Happy Easter!
Mama D

No comments:

Post a Comment