Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What We Ate Last Week

Well as usual...what I planned to cook and what I actually cooked were two different things last week! I did manage to try out some new recipes, several in fact.

Sunday - Frito Pies

Monday - Enchilada Casserole, Pinto Beans and Corn

Tuesday - I honestly cannot remember!!!

Wednesday - Pancakes

Thursday - Fried Chicken Fingers, Baked Beans and Potato Salad

Friday - Fettuccine Alfredo (tried a recipe for Easy Alfredo Sauce, Yummy!)

Saturday - Chicken Tacos...these didn't go over well because I used corn tortillas instead of flour!

I realized on Saturday how much I miss watching cooking shows off the Food Network and such! It's not that I have access or the desire to us some of the ingredients that they do...but they do spark my imagination to use what I do have in new and sometimes interesting ways! For Example ....I received a email from the Pioneer Woman the other day with a recipe for Chicken Tacos....which were really chicken breast wrapped in a corn tortilla then deep fried in oil before being served.....then I watched a cooking show about Mexican Tacos on PBS Saturday morning and saw all the interesting things they consider to be fillings for tacos. The man on the show then proceeded to make a taco filling with chicken, onion, chard and several other things. This inspired me to make my own version of both of these recipes. I cooked my seasoned chicken breast in olive oil in my cast iron skillet. Then used the drippings off the chicken to cook my fresh onion, garlic and a little green chilies. I then combines my onion mixture with my chicken and placed both on a corn tortilla and deep fried it for just a minute before serving with cheese and sour cream. My corn tortillas needed salt and were rather bland...but the chicken and onion mixture was excellent! I gave one to the hubby on a flour tortilla and he loved it! But my family didn't care for the corn tortillas... However I felt inspired like I haven't in a long time!  What inspires you???

God Bless,
Mama D

No comments:

Post a Comment