Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Man Cookies

My Man Cookies are an absolute favorite in this family! If we need some comfort food around here that's what I make! They are (if you bake them right) soft and chewy sweet deliciousness! And when I say family favorite I mean the whole family. Two of my uncles come begging during the holidays and are disappointed if they don't get to take home gallon sized bags full of cookies....which they procede to hide from their grown sons! One uncle even renamed them "Kill A Man" Cookies, because he claimed that you could eat enough to Kill A Man! Enough of my ramblings....here's the recipe!

My Man's Cookies

1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups oats (quick or old fashioned)
1 cup coconut

Beat shortening and sugars until creamy. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, coconut and nuts. Pinch off dough in balls.(I use a small scoop)  Place on lightly greased cookie sheet or one lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.

Mama D's Tips
*Undercook these cookies just a little bit to retain that chewy softnes....I bake mine for 8 mintues....the upper portion of the cookie will be starting to brown but the inner portions will look undone...I go ahead and take them out of the oven and let them finish baking on the cookie sheet for 1 to 2 minutes before removing them...they should be a lite golden brown!

*If you like a crisp cookie go ahead and bake these the full 10 minutes or until they are uniformly brown!

No comments:

Post a Comment