Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars vs. Giant Breakfast Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars vs. Giant Breakfast Cookies
Well Folks one of my favorite blogs is Heavenly Homemakers, Laura has a lot of wonderful advice and recipes that brings me daily pleasure and inspiration! One of the recipes that I have meaning to try for a while now is her Giant Breakfast Cookies. I mean just the idea of feeding my 6 year old cookies for breakfast is just wrong....I keep thinking you are such a bad Momma! Then I get to thinking about all the sugary things that she eats now...pancakes, donuts (rarely), cereal and the list goes on. I determined a while back to limit her sugary breakfast items...our favorite breakfast is scrambled eggs...full of protein and energy with out the sugar! But I had to give these Giant Breakfast Cookies a try.

The conclusion that I came too...these are two totally different equally delicious recipes. The Giant Breakfast Cookie is a wholesome, healthy (but don't tell the kids) cookie shaped muffin. It has a soft cake like texture with the little bits of sweetness provided by the chocolate chips (you can also use raisins).

Since I am new to the blog world I really don't know if it is polite to share other people's recipes without their permission????? So until I know for sure, I don't want to offend anyone...if you want Laura's recipe...Google, Heavenly Homemakers and look up her Giant Breakfast Cookie under recipes!

My recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars you are most welcome to and I hope you try and enjoy it for many years to come. I tend to make this recipe instead of traditional cookies. I mean it's a cookie bar! You put it in a pan and bake for 25 minutes....then cut it into small pieces...so much easier than baking 4 dozen cookies! This is one of my Momma's favorites!

My Momma came walking in my house the other day with 2 bags of flour, a canister of oatmeal and a bag of brown sugar. I just looked at her and asked why she was bringing me the main ingredients to My Man's Cookies!!! She just laughed and said that the brown sugar would go really well in Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars too! I always like groceries....especially when I don't have to go and buy them!

Now the recipe....

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

The Ingredients
2/3 cup shortening
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
2 cups of chocolate chips

Melt your shortening. I have found that if you use a glass measuring cup that shortening measures out the same in it's solid form as it does in it's liquid....so save yourself some aggravation and just measure your shortening into you measuring cup and microwave it!
Brown sugar and melted shortening.
Combine your melted shortening, brown sugar and vanilla. Set aside to let mixture cool.

Now sift you dry ingredients together. Add eggs to sugar mixture; beat well. Stir in your sifted dry ingredients, nuts and chocolate chips.
Bear helping Mama grease the pan

And pouring in the chocolate chips after sneaking a few!
Grease a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides) or a 9X13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 mins. Cool and cut into squares.


Spreading them in the pan.
I always use a jelly roll pan for this recipe even though you can you a 9x13...they come out thinner and cook better for me. If you choose to use the 9x13 be sure and watch it the last 5 minutes or so.
The hard part is letting them cool enough to cut and eat!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does! And yes Momma I have some put back for you and will bring them to you tomorrow!
God Bless, Mama D

No comments:

Post a Comment