Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What to do with leftover Mashed Potatos Idea #2

Country Food!
Well on Sunday evening I made some good ol' country food that would have made my Grandma Edna proud! Fried Ham, Homemade Cornbread, English Peas (I meant to make Black Eyed Peas...but didn't have any) and of course POTATO CAKES.....yum! My husband and Grandpa just loved it and then Pop (my Daddy in Law) came over and enjoyed what was left!!! Now this is one of those 30 minute meals that they never show on TV! The key is getting your cornbread in the oven and cooking everything else while it is baking....easy peasey!!!!

My main focus for this meal was using up the last of those left over mashed potatoes before they went bad.

Potato Cakes

however much left over mashed potatoes you happen to have....I had about 2 cups worth
1 egg (to hold it together)
about 1/4 cup of flour (to make it a little stiff)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of this in a bowl.....I just mixed it up in the container I had it stored in! Drop onto a hot skillet that you have melted about a tablespoon of butter in....yes I said butter pull it out, enjoy the flavor, your not using that much, it will make them taste right!!! Brown you blobs on both sides and serve with ketchup (that's how I got Bear to eat hers!!). Of course when I got done cooking the potato cakes, I added a bit of bacon drippings to my pan and fried up that sliced ham!! Country food is the best!!!
Potato Cakes Fried in BUTTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment