Tuesday, February 8, 2011

German Potato Soup

OK folks I have to apologize for the lack of pictures here....I will add some later....but somewhere between my living room and my kitchen my camera went missing! Hey it's a big house! I search frantically for it for about 15 minutes...then decided getting dinner on the table was much more important than having pictures for my blog! So here it is my pictureless blog entry! Of course after everything was cooked, eaten and put away, my darling husband walked out of the room and came back with ....can you guess??? Yeap my camera! And he is just ornery enough that he won't tell me where he finds stuff like that because he knows it drives me insane!!!

OK now that I have shared with you that little tidbit about my life, let me tell you what I cooked for dinner. German Potato Soup....yummy! It's creamy, cheesy and full of good for you veggies! It has and always will be my favorite potato soup! My Momma's best friend shared this recipe with her when I was a little girl. Every time I make this recipe I think of Linda and her girls, Stephanie and Shannon! Thank you for all the wonderful memories!

German Potato Soup

5 cups water
5 chicken bouillon cubes (or substitute both with chicken stock)

Bring to a boil in a large pan.

1 cup peeled and diced carrots (sometimes I get lazy and use baby carrots)
1 cup diced onion (mine wear already chopped and in the freezer!)
1 cup diced celery (same as the onion)

Add to boiling water and cook for 20 minutes.

5-6 cups of peeled and diced potatoes

Add to veggies and cook for another 20 minutes.
When veggies are tender add 2 cans of Cream of Chicken Soup and 1 lb. of Velveeta Cheese cubed. Stir frequently and reduce you heat to prevent sticking. Heat until cheese has melted and serve! Cornbread is the perfect side!

Mama D's Variations

Okay sometimes I substitute red potatoes for the regular potatoes...it all kinda of depends on if I can find them on sale or have them on hand.

I have also been know to add some sweet corn to the pot when I have some leftover in the fridge.

Now my Daddy the Meat Eater...who doesn't think he can eat a meal without meat in it has us add ham to the mixture...I don't really care for that addition so we started leaving his ham on the side and let him just add it to him portion.

Also a can of chopped green chilies gives it a little kick...this is something I like but don't do often because of my picky eaters!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I always have, with this next round of cold weather coming our way tonight....it would be a good thing to try!
God Bless, Mama D

No comments:

Post a Comment