Of course the draw back of cooking all that food was my Bear decided she was starving and just had to have some of Mama's Lasagna before she went to bed.....which I gave her a small serving with the promise of more today! I told her she was gonna turn into Garfield if she ate anymore!
This is a wonderful make ahead recipe...if you are having company it will store in the refrigerator for a couple of days. What.I do is double my recipe...it doesn't take more time just a little more effort...and I put one in the freezer for later. I have even been known to make several smaller servings and share with my brother, who loves to come home and take home my freezer meals. Here lately I have been making small versions of my favorite meals and selling them to my friends who don't like to cook or just like a little help in that area from time to time!
Lasagna is fairly simple even though the instructions can get complicated at times....the ones on the back of the boxes always make my eyes cross. So hopefully my explanation will be a little easier to follow.
Homemade Lasagna1 lb. ground meat (I used beef....but adding in some sausage works well too)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
2 or 3 jars of Spaghetti Sauce (the Tool Man claims that a combination of Prego and Ragu is the best...but use whatever you like or make homemade)
1 - 15 oz container Ricotta Cheese
1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
1 pkg. Parmesan or Italian Blend Cheese
1 Pkg. Mozzarella Cheese
1 box of Ready To Bake Lasagna Noodles
1. Brown you ground beef with you onions and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drain the grease and add your pasta sauces to heat.
|These are blended for your cheese layer|
|Ricotta Cheese Mixture|
3. Start with a layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Top with three of you pasta sheets. I personally love the ready to bake Lasagna noodles...it saves a step in the cooking process, I don't have another pan to wash and you don't have to struggle with slippery pasta.
4. Divide your Cheese mixture into thirds...and spread 1/3 of the mixture over the pasta sheets.
|Cheese Mixture Layer|
|Pasta Sauce Layer|
|Grated Cheese Layer|
8. You can either stop here or I add another layer of pasta sheets, topped with whatever sauce is left and the remaining cheese.
|Before baking. |
9. Bake your dish, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes! If you choose to refrigerate or freeze this, you are gonna need to let it cool completely and then wrap with foil and mark with instructions.
|Yummy!!! Garfield Food!|
Happy cooking and God Bless, Mama D