Friday, February 11, 2011

Golden Mushroom Meatballs!

Golden Mushroom Meatballs
When I was growing up my Momma always had a couple of meals that were either reserved for special occasions or were served when we had company over after church on Sundays. This happens to be one of my Momma's recipes! It can be prepared ahead of time, frozen if need be, it can be heated up in a variety of ways, and it is a people pleaser. Now I am gonna warn you this is not a meal that stretches that meat allowance that some people have...and I have only tried this recipe with ground beef or ground beef mixed with venison, however I am sure that if you want to cut some calorie corners and use ground turkey or chicken...go right ahead...just don't cut out the Golden Mushroom Soup!

Golden Mushroom Meatballs

1-2 lbs ground beef (I got about 15 servings out of 2 lbs)
1 egg
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1 -2 heels of bread, crumbled
Flour for dredging
Oil for browning
1 -2 cans Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup

Place a large skillet on the cook top over medium heat. cover the bottom of skillet with oil...I used olive oil to give mine a little extra flavor...you don't need much just enough to brown your meatballs!

In a large mixing bowl combine your ground meat with egg, onion soup mix, and crumbled bread. Salt and Pepper to taste. And yes I used my bare hands and it got all over them...I even had Bear taking pictures for me!
Roll your meat in to balls...Mine normally fit in the palm of my hand...but you can make them whatever size you need....just remember the smaller you make them the less time it will take them to cook!

My Meatballs turned out this size!

As you form your meatballs, roll them in flour and place them in your hot skillet.
Rolled in flour
Now you want to brown your meatballs on both sides. You are not fully cooking them at this point just getting them brown and crusty. Depending on how many you made...you may need to do these in batches.
The one that is turned over is what they should look like when browned.
Now at this point you can place these meatballs in a freezable container, let them cool, label and freeze. Or put them in the fridge for the next day. My Momma likes to make a big batch of these, serve half for the current meal and put the other half in the freezer for later.

Once all you meatball are browned.....mix your Golden Mushroom Soup with a can of water, pour over meatballs, cover and finish cooking.

Ready to be covered and cooked
Now you have more than one option on how you finish cooking these baby's.

1. I choose to finish mine on top of the stove. I just popped a lid on top of this skillet, turned my heat down on low and let it cook for about 45 minutes.

2. I could have transfer this to a casserole dish and baked it at 350 degree for 30 minutes

3. Or I have even made these in an electric skillet, following the same stove top method.

4. I suppose you could place these in a crock pot if you wanted to...if you do let me know how it turned out.

See what I mean on how versatile these are!!??? You can also freeze these fully cooked!

*Note* I did not have the dry onion soup that this recipe called for in my cabinet....so I did a little search online to find a recipe....I will never buy that stuff again! It is way to easy to make! I just used 8 tsp. of dry onion, 1 tsp onion powder...I didn't have the beef bouillon that it called for but they tasted just fine with out it!

Now my Momma always served these with some kind of green veggie, mashed potatoes and a slice of bread or homemade rolls. The soup makes a fantastic gravy!!!

Happy cooking and God Bless,
Mama D

No comments:

Post a Comment